Thursday, May 26, 2011

I wish Wilpon would sell, but...

As a Mets fan I might be more upset about Fred Wilpon’s comments about the state of his franchise if he had not hit the nail right on the head. The agony of watching Carlos Beltran leave the bat on his shoulder with 2 strikes and 2 outs in game 7 of the NLCS is still very real for me. The fact remains that Beltran could hit 50 homeruns a season and they still will not forgive him for that moment. If you don’t take my word for it, ask one, and I’m pretty sure you’ll get the same reaction that you’re getting from me. As for Jose Reyes, he’s off to a nice start this season. Reyes is the type of player that can change a game just by getting on base, but Wilpon is right, is it wise to invest nine figures in a guy who has not played for much of the past 2 seasons, especially when his greatest value to the team may be in helping you restock the absolutely bare cupboard at starting pitcher through a trade? The comments about David Wright are tricky. I say that because, Wright was a superstar, and then the Mets moved to their fancy new digs at Citi Field and neutralized their best power hitter by putting him in a cavernous pitcher’s park. Imagine Wright playing in the bandbox across town, or the one down I-95 in Philadelphia and tell me that he isn’t a superstar. The truth hurts sometimes, and if this were one of the talking heads in the sports media saying all this no one would give it a second thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment